Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Volunteers

I was sitting in my living room this morning catching up on newspaper articles (I tend to pile them up and get around to reading the papers slowly), and I was mesmorized by the article on the annual Business and Community Achievement Awards, put on by our Haliburton County Chamber of Commerce. As I read the description of each of the award winners and their accomplishments, I was completely taken by what one individual can do. I am sure people might disagree, but it seems that volunteerism is a bit stronger in country areas rather than urban. Perhaps this is my lack of living in an urban area that gives me this impression, but, wow - the people who live here are beyond amazing!
I dabble in volunteerism, have for many years, and raised our daughters to understand the importance of community involvement - but I could never begin to imagine the depth of involvement that many of our community members have.
Take John Teljeur for instance (not to leave out the other incredibly amazing award winners and nominees!) This gentleman has volunteered with several organizations such as FoodNet/Food Coalition, Haliburton Highlands Outdoors Association, SIRCH, Out to Learn, and Community Care, started three more community gardens growing over 1,000 pounds of organic produce for organizations such as the 4Cs, Minden and Cardiff Food Banks, Ontario Early Years Centre, SIRCH, Point in Time and Community Care - the list goes on.
Is volunteerism a learned state or something that just comes natural to people? I know we taught our children the importance of helping your community, but surely these "above the crowd" members of society take it so much further.
With my limited volunteer involvement, I find I am always stressed - when I am volunteering I am thinking about family and work - am I letting anyone down? When I am concentrating on family and work, I wonder if I am doing enough - it is a balance. Everything in life is a balance - exercise, work and play, eating and drinking habits - all in moderation, just the right amounts of everything. Luckily, the volunteerism in Haliburton County is OUT of balance! Extraordinary people live here, get involved here, and keep our communities going. I feel very blessed (and at times, somewhat inadequate) to live and work and play in this fabulous part of Central Ontario!

No comments:

Post a Comment