Monday, August 6, 2012

Hidden Gems

I love to find hidden treasures in our County - in any format.....geological, physical, people or business/organizations. Last week my business partner and I were hosting an Agent Open House at one of our properties in Irondale. The owner suggested we serve the agents sausage on a bun, and to get the sausages from Highland Meats - a butcher shop located between Gooderham and Irondale, on County Road 503. The Shop has probably been there 2-3 years and I have never stopped in. We picked up two kinds of sausages - cranberry maple and apple. Yum! The flavours are subtle - the cranberry maple was my favourite, but both were delicious. I took the leftovers home and they were an instant hit with the family. Check out this great place!

While I am at it - I have some other favourite hidden gems to mention! Norm's Smoked Meats in Gelert, on Gelert Road - Norm has been there for years and has a very loyal following. All kinds of fresh smoked fish, meats - a treasure of discoveries! Beside him, in the same parking lot is Lambs 'n Ivy Antiques - dissappear in this old barn full of exciting things! The third favourite - The Little Tart Bakery in Donald. Everything is done from scratch, real butter, and real taste! Delicious! You have to turn off Gelert Road onto Koshlong Lake Road (only 5 minutes from Haliburton) - it is well worth the drive! Oh - did I mention Wintergreen Restaurant? Again on Gelert Road - although it is a "pancake house", they go all summer long and offer with amazing pies as they come into season. This place is packed on weekends, so be prepared. A fun place for breakfast!! They have wonderful sauces, jams, etc. also!

Christine and I are off to Algonquin tomorrow for 4 days of kayaking and hiking - can't wait! Hope that fire ban gets lifted!

No comments:

Post a Comment